The Challenge Ahead: Access to Justice
Immigration & Due Process:
Take Action Philly
- City of Philadelphia Immigration Action Guide
- Congressional Outreach Tips
- Immigration & Sanctuary Cities: City of Philadelphia Action Guide
- Planning for Custody and Care of Children: An Informational Guide for Immigrant Families (PLA)
- Nine Ways for Lawyers to Help
- What if I'm Picked up by ICE - Preparing for the Possibility of Being Detained, Deported and Separated From Your Children
- Click Here to Sign Up To Volunteer
National and Local Resources
- National Resources
- Local Resources
- American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania (ACLU PA)
- City of Philadelphia Office of Immigrant Affairs
- Community Legal Services (CLS)
- Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)
- Friends of Farmworkers
- Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society of Pennsylvania (HIAS PA)
- Mazzoni Center
- Nationalities Service Center (NSC)
- The Public Interest Law Center
Legal Services Corporation Funding:
- Statement of Chancellor Deborah R. Gross Opposing Proposal to Eliminate Legal Services Funding
- Bar Association Urges Support for Full Funding of Legal Services Corporation
- ABA helplegalaid.org Advocacy Resource Page
- ABA Registry to become a Legal Aid Defender
- Defunding Legal Services Corp. Would Have 'Dramatic' Impact in Pa.
- Proposed Cuts to Philadelphia Legal Assistance called 'Devastating'
- CLS Webpage: Fight for Fairness: Take Action to Save PLA and Other Legal Aid Programs Webpage
- Support Letter from Law Firm Leaders
- Support Letter from Leaders of Corporate Legal Departments
- Support Letter from 148 U.S. Representatives
Medicaid & Health Care:
General Pro Bono Resources:
Philadelphia Bar Association Resources
- Philadelphia Pro Bono Opportunities Guide
- Directory of Public Interest Legal Organizations
- Pro Bono Spotlight Features
- Covington & Burling, LLP partnered with the Public Interest Law Center to help students with disabilities and their families.
- A Philadelphia VIP volunteer helped an elderly woman win back her home after she entered into a risky lease-purchase agreement.
- Morgan Lewis and Bockius, LLP partnered with Legal Clinical for the Disabled to represent an individual with physical disabilities in securing Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.
- Ciardi Ciardi & Astin highlight their work with Military Assistance Project, helping a veteran file a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy with several adversarial actions contesting individual debts.
- Galfand Berger, LLP, volunteer, raised awareness of housing rights and supported disenfranchised individuals in housing cases through Face to Face Legal Center.
- Duane Morris, LLP pro bono attorneys provided legal representation to immigrants and individuals with disabilities in partnership with Community Legal Services.
- Ballard Spahr, LLP attorney reflects on his pro bono experience with HIAS PA working on an asylum case.
- Reed Smith, LLP partnered with the Homeless Advocacy Project to represent a homeless, abused, and elderly individual.
- Pepper Hamilton, LLP worked with Support Center for Child Advocates to represent children involved with the Philadelphia child welfare system.
- Earp Cohn, P.C. joined SeniorLAW Center to protect the rights of an indigent senior at risk of losing her home.
- Fox Rothschild, LLP, in partnership with the Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project, provided free bankruptcy counsel to impoverished Philadelphians.
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney, P.C. volunteered with the Pennsylvania Innocence Project to represent wrongfully convicted individuals.
- Drinker Biddle & Reath, LLP partnered with Education Law Center to advocate on behalf of two brothers with special needs gain access to educational services they needed.
- Philadelphia Bar Association Resolution Adopting the Recommendations of the Pro Bono Task Force to Adopt an Annual 50 Hour Aspirational Standard for Pro Bono
- 2002 Philadelphia Bar Association Chancellor's Pro Bono Task Force Report
Other Pennsylvania Resources