August 06, 2011
Philadelphia Bar Association Seeks Communications Manager
Job Title: Communications Manager
Supervisor: Associate Executive Director/Director of Communications
Promotes the initiatives, activities, events and programs of the Philadelphia Bar Association – the oldest association of lawyers in the United States – both internally and externally. Reports to the Associate Executive Director/Director of Communications and works closely with the Association’s elected and appointed leadership. Primary responsibilities are writing (including news releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, speeches, columns and marketing materials such as brochures, program advertisements, and e-newsletter and website copy); media relations (proactively pitching stories and responding to media requests); project management (Law Week, People’s Law School, Speakers Bureau, Naturalization Ceremonies and supporting communications for special events and other departments of the Bar Association); and social media (managing Facebook and Twitter postings/presence, LinkedIn). Performs all other duties as assigned by the Associate Executive Director or Executive Director of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
- Assists with the planning and writing of all marketing materials, including membership promotion materials and campaigns.
- Writes articles and conducts interviews for The Philadelphia Lawyer magazine and Philadelphia Bar Reporter newspaper, program advertisements, e-newsletter and website copy and other promotional efforts.
- Assists the Associate Executive Director in writing speeches and columns for the Chancellor of the Bar Association and Bar leadership.
- Works closely with the Associate Executive Director, Senior Managing Editor and Web Manager to enhance brand recognition for the Philadelphia Bar Association across all communications vehicles.
- Assumes primary responsibility for publicizing news, projects, events and public service activities of the Bar Association.
- Provides members of the news media with pertinent expert contacts among members of the Bar Association.
- Works directly with producers, assignment editors, broadcast hosts, print editors and reporters across all media.
- Develops relationships with media contacts, pitches stories and writes/disseminates news releases and public service announcements.
- Manages the Bar Association’s Speakers Bureau, which includes soliciting speakers, working with community groups and developing topics/programs.
- Promotes appropriate activities and special events of various Bar Association sections, committees and the Young Lawyers Division; assists in photographing and podcasting meetings and events.
- Serves as staff liaison to the Young Lawyers Division and Bar-News Media Committee.
- Serves as project manager for key Bar Association programs such as Law Week, People’s Law School and Naturalization Ceremonies.
- Provides communications support for major Bar Association activities and events including Quarterly/Annual Meetings and Bench-Bar & Annual Conference.
- Provides ongoing communications support for other departments across the Bar Association including Membership, Meetings/Events, Office of Diversity and Philadelphia Bar Foundation.
- Frequently posts news items and promotions to the Association’s Facebook page and Young Lawyers Division Facebook page.
- Frequently tweets news items and promotions to the Association’s Twitter page.
- Live-tweets selected Bar Association programs.
- Creates event hashtags and QR codes.
- Provides social media instruction to Association leadership and membership.
- Proposes new social media campaigns and strategies.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both verbally and in writing.
- Expert writing skills with commitment to accuracy and knowledge of Associated Press style.
- Tact, diplomacy and professionalism in communicating with the news media and elected and appointed leaders of the Bar Association, who change frequently.
- Ability to work under pressure and with frequent deadlines.
- Up-to-date knowledge and experience with social media web tools, Microsoft Office Suite and Apple suite.
Physical and Mental Demands
- Ability to listen carefully, interpret accurately, make sound judgments and respond appropriately to a high volume of work from executive staff, Bar Association members and Association partners.
- Physical demands involve light lifting, sitting and standing for extended periods of time, regularly moving between buildings and floors, and regularly working on the computer. At times this position involves public contact under conditions that can be described as fast-paced and occasionally stressful.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume and 3 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls will be accepted. Candidates must have a minimum of 5-10 years experience and hold a Bachelor's Degree in a communications-related program. Salary commensurate with experience. The Philadelphia Bar Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Click here to download this job description.