November 06, 2007
Association Seeking Director of the Office for Diversity
The Philadelphia Bar Association is seeking a Director of the Office for Diversity. The Office for Diversity is created to work with legal employers to foster more diverse work environments. The Office also serves as a resource for individuals seeking to advance and develop their careers. The Office for Diversity provides infrastructure, strategic leadership, coordination, and continuity to the diversity efforts of the various association committees, departments, and external efforts. The Director of the Office for Diversity will provide the vision, leadership and support for developing and implementing programs and practices to encourage diversity in the Philadelphia legal community.
- Disseminate information about the Statement of Diversity Principles and obtain additional corporate and law firm signatories of the Statement;
- Collect data, analyze, ensure data accuracy, and report on the progress of the Philadelphia community in achieving diversity goals through studies and other means;
- Collect and disseminate information about evolving best practices aimed at recruitment, retention and promotion of a diverse and inclusive legal environment across demographic groups;
- Provide signatories with concrete support to build and maintain successful diversity efforts delivered in hands-on regular working sessions, targeted roundtables with diversity professionals, diversity chairs, managing partners, etc.;
- Communicate and publicize the activities of the Office for Diversity through the Association website, media outreach, articles in the Association's monthly newsletter, and other sources.
- Foster community networking opportunities for people working on diversity issues across sectors in the legal profession;
- Provide over-the-shoulder guidance to legal employers across sectors;
- Support and coordinate Association committee activities and programs in the area of diversity;
- Plan and organize an annual diversity event; and
- Assist in developing financial support for the Office for Diversity.
Reporting Relationship:The Director of Diversity will report to the Association's Executive Director and work closely with the Association's Chancellor and other Association committees involved in the diversity initiatives.
- Five plus years experience developing and/or managing diversity programs, preferably in a professional services environment.
- Strong public speaking and written communication skills.
- Law, public policy, or other relevant graduate degree desirable.
- Strong commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Salary is negotiable. Excellent benefits. To apply, please email or mail a resume and cover letter to:Kenneth Shear
Philadelphia Bar Association
1101 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107
The Philadelphia Bar Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities are encouraged to apply. Application deadline: December 15, 2007.