March 16, 2011
Conversing with the Media When the Stakes are High March 24
Bar-News Media Committee Meeting
President, Karen Friedman Enterprises, Inc.
In this eye opening one of a kind session, international communications coach and author of "Shut Up and Say Something: Business Communication Strategies to Overcome Challenges and Influence Listeners" (Praeger 2010), Karen Friedman will show you how to harness the power of the media to your advantage. A former award winning television news reporter, Friedman will help you understand how to work more effectively with reporters to influence stories and make the media work with you.
You will learn:
- How to think like a reporter to influence the outcome of a story
- Proven techniques to develop and deliver clear concise media messages
- How to turn negatives into positives when the pressure is on
- How to take charge of an interview and get your message across
- Learn how to say no comment and still respond
- How to be proactive instead of defensive
- How to anticipate questions and answers in advance
- Dos and don'ts when confronted by the media
- Remain calm if the interview turns hostile
- Improve relationships with local media
Karen Friedman is the author of "Shut Up and Say Something: Business Communication Strategies to Overcome Challenges and Influence Listeners" (Praeger 2010) and the co-author of "Speaking of Success: World Class Experts Share Their Secrets". President of Karen Friedman Enterprises, Inc., her techniques to help business professionals become more powerful persuasive communicators have been applied on four continents. A professional communication coach and speaker, she was formerly an award-winning television news reporter and a political candidate.
The program begins at 12 p.m. in the 11th floor Conference Center of Bar Association headquarters, 1101 Market St. Click here to register.