LGBT Rights Committee
Committee meetings are usually held on the last Wednesday of each month at 12 p.m. in the 11th Floor Committee Room of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
The LGBT Rights Committee addresses issues that are of importance to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in the legal profession. As part of its work, the Committee
- considers, investigates, and makes recommendations to the Board of Governors on matters relating to the recognition and protection of the legal rights of LGBT people and their families
- monitors relevant conditions and trends in the law and the treatment of LGBT people in the legal profession, and
- conducts educational programs and seminars, both on its own and in conjunction with the other committees and sections of the Bar and with other organizations concerned with such rights.
In the last several years, the Committee has
- advanced and secured non-discrimination in legal workplaces and the availability of domestic partnership benefits
- sponsored CLE courses on issues related to legal representation of LGBT individuals and their families
- conducted a survey of Bar Association members on employment policies and practices related to LGBT people in the legal profession
- successfully presented resolutions to the Board of Governors, including resolutions in support of hate crimes legislation and second parent adoption legislation
- hosted several social events including an annual summer associates gathering and a holiday party
Committee meetings are open to all persons regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
To apply for Committee membership online, click here.
Robert Ian Evans
City of Philadelphia Law Department
1515 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Kraemer, Manes, & Associates, LLC
1628 John F Kennedy Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19103