August 25, 2005
Bar Foundation Seeks Nominations for Citizens Pro Bono AwardNominations are now being accepted for the Citizens Pro Bono Award, which will recognize outstanding volunteer efforts to help provide legal services to those in need. The deadline for nominations is Monday, Oct. 10.
The Philadelphia Bar Foundation and Citizens Bank will present the Citizens Bank Pro Bono Award in recognition of pro bono publico (for the good of the public) volunteer efforts to a law firm or legal department at the Bar Foundation's Andrew Hamilton Ball on Saturday, Nov. 12.
Though the award will contain a monetary component, the monetary portion will take the form of a grant to a law-related public service agency designated by the honoree.
Nominations from all quarters are welcomed and encouraged. Those who wish to nominate a law firm or legal department for the award should send a detailed letter explaining the reason for the nomination (including supporting materials) to: Audrey C. Talley, Esq., Chair, Citizens Pro Bono Award, Philadelphia Bar Association, 1101 Market St., 11th Fl., Philadelphia, PA 19107.
The criteria for the award winner is as follows:
- Demonstrated dedication to the development and delivery of pro bono legal services in and around the City and County of Philadelphia;
- Significant contributions toward the development of innovative approaches to the delivery of volunteer legal services;
- Participation in an activity that results in satisfying previously unmet needs for legal services or in extending services to under-served segments of the population;
- Successful litigation of pro bono cases favorably affecting the provision of services to the indigent;
- Successful support of legislation contributing substantially to the provision of legal services to the indigent;
- Significant pro bono activity;
- Length and breadth of pro bono commitment and experience;
- Other significant accomplishments or activities that have improved access to justice for residents of the Philadelphia area impacted by poverty, abuse and/or discrimination.
All nominations for the awards must be received by the end of the business day on Monday, Oct. 10. For more information, contact Stephanie Krzywanski at (215) 238-6351.
# # #