Welcome to the Tax Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association’s Website
The Tax Section serves the tax community in a variety of ways:
- First, the Tax Section functions as a liaison with state and local tax authorities, and with local representatives of the Internal Revenue Service.
- Second, the Tax Section studies and makes recommendations to appropriate legislative, executive, administrative and judicial authorities concerning existing or proposed laws, regulations, rulings or procedures involving federal, state or local taxation.
- Third, the Tax Section also works to promote continuing education and organize community outreach events in the Philadelphia area for members of the Section.
Upcoming CLE Events
The Tax Section strives to provide relevant and timely continuing legal education programming to the Philadelphia Tax Community. The Tax Section organizes different events throughout the year, covering a variety of topics. For 2021, issues such as remote working, the new partnership regulations, and federal tax changes as the result of the election will be included amongst others. Details on these events can be found by searching the Events page under the CLE/CJE header.
Additionally, the Tax Section is always interested in hearing from its members regarding future topics for programming. Please feel free to reach out to the members of the Tax Section’s CLE committee with ideas or questions.
Upcoming SALT Committee Meetings
All meetings are at Noon via Zoom until the present restrictions are lifted. Members of the section who have not received meeting notices should contact either Jennifer Weidler Karpchuk, Esquire, the SALT committee chair Jennifer.Karpchuk@chamberlainlaw.com, or Heidi R. Schwartz, Esquire, the SALT committee secretary, HSchwartz@cozen.com.
- January 26, 2022
- March 16, 2022 (Pennsylvania Department of Revenue)
- April 27, 2022
- June 15, 2022
- September 21, 2022
- October 26, 2022 (Philadelphia Department of Revenue, Tax Review Board, Board of Revision of Taxes)
- December 7, 2022
Law School Mentorship Program
The Tax Section engages in a mentorship program with area law schools where students interested in pursuing careers in tax law are paired up with practicing attorneys in an informal setting. This program was piloted in early 2021 and will be continued into the 2021-2022 academic year. Additionally, the Tax Section hosts “lunch and learn” type events with area law schools to provide law students information about working in tax in the Philadelphia region. For any interest or inquiries, please reach out to Professor Andy Monroe at Andrea.Monroe@temple.edu.
Pro Bono Information
Please see below for a list of tax matters for which Philadelphia VIP is currently seeking assistance. VIP offers the unique opportunity to affect the lives of low income Philadelphia residents. Please consider volunteering to help someone in need of your knowledge and experience.